6.22.2010

Today we visited the factory that for the last four-hundred years has produced all the tapestries, carpeting, and furniture for the royalty of France and, after the revolution, the senate and such. We got a tour of the rooms working on tapestry restoration and carpet restoration, and surprising to me, the carpets were the most fascinating! The men working in there were really very nice to us and show us how everything worked, and even showed us what they were working on. Spectacular creations, but it's hard to believe the tediousness of the work! Some of the works, we were told, took four people 2 full years to finish, and that was repairing, not creating a new piece.
The other cool thing I did today was explore this market with fruits and crepes and sandwiches. It was a narrow charming little street going up hill, and there was about any kind of food you could want to buy! It just seems so quintessentially French. Had a really good fresh peach!

No idea what I'm doing tomorrow. Have to go do tomorrow's reading! Here's a photo I caught in the Gobelins Tapestry Manufacturing workshop:

No comments:

Post a Comment