Yesterday we had sort of a weird class schedule. We did the Institut du Monde Arabe in the morning. That was just about the most frightening and downright scary building I've been in. Admittedly, the lense-like designs on the one facade that open and close to let in more or less light were pretty cool. That said, this building is very narrow, with very low ceilings and entirely too much glass. Two outside walls are made of glass as well as four interior walls, so that what's left is a cramped hallway around a glass courtyard. This building is also high, and we were advised to begin our tour of the building from the 9th, the top, floor. Well, needless to say, there is also a glass elevator. For someone afraid of heights and falling, the building, famously designed by Jean Nouvel, was my worst nightmare. All this wasn't even the worst part. For our lecture we all went across to another part of the building to see the panoramic view of Paris. All of us, that is, except me, who looked at the suspended, (yup, you guessed it) glass bridge that was 9 stories above the ground, where I questioned the sanity of anyone willing to risk thier lives walking over that thing. Well, in the end I finally convinced myself to try it, and I got across it, but not before a serious rise in heart rate. Then I had to deal with getting back over the bridge...
Anyways, what I'm saying is, you'd better enjoy these panoramic views of Paris I took!
After this part of class, we were free for most of the day. I decided to go in search of my teddy bear store in the Marais. I found it, but nothing remotely like the bear I was looking for, so I'm still not sure that that's the window I saw. I wandered there for a bit and then decided to head over to the Left Bank to try and find the new hotel I move to on Saturday. I had looked it up once, a few weeks ago, and the Metro map I had on me didn't have the street it was supposed to be on, so I was worried about not finding it. Well, thanks to my mother's excellent choice of hotel, I didn't really need a map, because it's only about a block in from the Seine! So I stopped in and asked about check-in times, and so I am feeling much more relieved that I know what I am doing tomorrow! I am already packed to leave, just have my shampoo and tomorrow's clothes left. My roommates, it appears, are not.
In the evening yesterday, we finally had the last part of our class, which took place at the Beaubourg, also called the Pompidou. This is the modern art museum of Paris, and is quite large, and in a building with modern architecture. I had been here before, but not up to the exhibits, and, as I've been in something of an inspirational lull with my art recently, I had actually not been looking forward to visiting here. Well, I misjudged myself entirely. Our class ended up spending two and a half hours there, until almost 9:00, when it closes. We saw all the modern works and movements that I've studied the most, and it was actually really inspiring and relaxing to see works I knew about and loved. We looked at Duchamp, Kandinsky, Delauney (both husband and wife), Dali, Pollack, Klein, Rothko, Whiteread, etc. It was fantastic! I decided that I'd like to spend one of my weekend days there, and it's easy and close to get to, which is excellent!
And now today, we have our final class. We are visiting the Quai Branly, mainly, and have some other tour, but I'm not sure what it is. It will be a very long day, that I do know! We are scheduled from about 10 in the morning until our last tour at 4, with a group farewell lunch somewhere in the middle. I'm probably crazy, but I decided since it's the last day, to dress up a little and even wear my fancy crocs (yes, I have fancy crocs!) and a dress. Not really sure how today will go, but I think it will be intense. It's penciled into our own schedules for all of us to have dinner together tonight, but that might get canceled if people need to pack. I am going to be a little sad this is ending. Class was really cool, and I love Paris. I am really looking forward to having a hotel room to myself for a few days though. And I am very excited to see some of my family on Tuesday! I'm thinking a college that runs all their classes like this one is in order. I would definitely attend!
Oh, funny story: remember the friend I met up with on Saturday? Well, she hadn't called to hang out again, so I figured she was busy getting ready to fly home at the end of the week. Wouldn't you know it, when I'm strolling around the Marais, I literally run into her and her French boyfriend! How crazy is that? I hadn't even planned on being in the Marais until after my morning class ended. Very weird, but totally awesome.
Ok, have to go now. Have to stop by the bank and get myself a French breakfast this morning before leaving for class! This is the last time, after all. I will try to keep posting on the blog, because I will be in Paris another week and a half, I just won't have class. Hope today goes as well as it can! Bonjour everyone! Happy Friday!
Included are some photos of the Institut du Monde Arabe, and the panoramic views I risked my life for...
No comments:
Post a Comment