Today was my big planning day before the family comes. I ran all my errands, the bank, picking up tickets for the Louvre, Orsay, and the Orangerie Museum. I bought my RER ticket to meet them at the airport tomorrow, and my bags are packed, ready for the hotel to move them to my new room. Phew.
Besides all the running around for tomorrow, I did manage to visit the museum I wanted to see. It's called the Musee Jacquemart-Andre, and has an exhibit up on Spanish painting from Dali to El Greco. After five weeks of my course on French art, it seemed almost sacrilegious to go see something not French. The exhibit was cool, but would have been cooler if my audio guide wasn't too low on batteries to work. I was forced to read the written descriptions and text, which of course were only in French, but this actually turned out a plus. I learned that while I can't identify, let alone pronounce, every word, I can actually read French. How exciting is that?! I really want to see if I can fit the course French for Reading Knowledge into my semester this fall. If I want to continue with art history after undergrad, I'm going to have to be able to read both French and German! Eek.
After the special exhibit I attempted to return to the main collection, because I heard it is huge and incredible. Well, because I am seriously directionally impaired, I found myself outside the museum, and way far away from the entrance again. This isn't to mention that I got seriously lost just getting to the museum. I'm really pathetic, I know. I probably could have returned and made my way back to the permanent collection, but I just decided that since I was getting tired already I'd cut my losses and just look at the private house part of the museum. After what I've studied about French architecture, I went around each room testing myself on which century and art movement each decoration or piece of furniture belonged to. I love when you can identify something by just background knowledge! Art history is awesome.
Anyways, after the museum visit I finished up my work for tomorrow, like informing the front desk that I am the same person who is checking back in tomorrow in a different room, and repacking everything. I have my new map, my recharged Navigo metro pass, my RER ticket, a new phone card, and the flight number and terminal written down. I think I'm all set. Wish me luck with coordinating everything!
Bonsoir!
No comments:
Post a Comment