6.30.2010

Decided to blog early in the morning today instead of at night, because apparently there's a limit to the amount of people that can use the hotel's internet, and last night we reached it. So, back to my old habits of getting most things done before anyone else even wakes up. I think this is the only hour in Paris when it's quiet. Ok, so here's yesterday's news.

Yesterday we started the day at famous Les Invalides, a complex for veterans where Napoleon's tomb is located. We didn't see the tomb, but we did have a lecture about the Baroque facade and dome of the church. Then we were able to visit the other side of the church, called the soldiers' church, as well as the courtyard that is surrounded by the hospital and other buildings, like refectories and living quarters. Although smaller and of a different architectural style, the soldiers' church reminded me a lot of the church at the US Naval Academy. I guess it's the drama of it, with the flags all lining the nave.

After Les Invalides, we went somewhere that I don't think maybe college art history classes get to attend for class. We went to the Yves Saint Laurent retrospective show at the Petit Palais. It was pretty much unbelievable. If I thought there was drama at the church, well I certainly found more of it at the YSL show! The exhibition was beautiful. They had all of the dresses and suits on manicans that were in appropriate poses, all decked out with the gloves and hat and shoes. And, of course, the outfits were often so gorgeous, we would stand flabbergasted in front of it for a few minutes. Made me want to both experiment with making clothing, and throw my own haute couture costume ball! I really wanted the catalogue from the show but it was a huge catalogue (but only 28 euros!!) so I decided I really couldn't carry it home, and I'd have to ship it. So I got a small coloring book with some of his sketches in it instead. All in all, the show was very exciting, and an interesting change from the tradition museum format of seeing art. We were even given the choice to write about the show for our daily journals. I guess I should put on my to-do list now recording the new season of Project Runway.

After class, I came back and finally had to do laundry. Then, my roomies, a friend in the program, and I all made a really weird dinner. We had something resembling quesadillas, and homemade guacamole (without lime or lemon..) and for dessert we had banana slices with dripped-over Nutella as well as this nutella, breadcrumbs, and peach concoction (dessert was what I made). Anyways, it was a fun day! I think from here to the end of the week, the days will be longer and somewhat oddly scheduled. Today we have class from 10-11 and then from 2:30 to about 6:00. Hmmm, have to figure out what to do in between. So, I'll try to get on tonight to blog, but depending on how late class goes and the demand for the ethernet cord, we'll see.

Enjoy your day, everyone! I know I will! (I'll try to post photos tonight.)

No comments:

Post a Comment