6.13.2010

Spent the day outside today. After waking up well into the day (I definitely needed the sleep!) and leisurely getting ready, I decided I'd visit the Arenes des Lutece, a park with a Roman 2nd century amphitheatre. Needless to say it was really amazing, and it didn't seem to be a tourist hot spot. Brought my sketch book and tried to loosen up after a year of drawing almost never. The weather was perfect, and so I spend a while wandering through an antique street market on my way to and from the garden. I bought 100 old stamps to decorate the non-class journal I bought for the trip. Close to my hotel, I couldn't resist and bought myself a fantastic crepe for lunch! It was slightly disheartening, though, that after ordering in French, the man selling the crepes asked me where I was from...in English.

I found what looks like a really cool vegetarian French restaurant across the Seine from where I'm staying. I had planned to try it tonight, but the new shoes I was wearing cut my walking tolerance a bit short. I think I might try lunch tomorrow, if the new hotel will take my luggage early. Tomorrow is the last day on my own for a month, and I will definitely miss the freedom! I didn't even bring my watch with me today. It's wonderful to have some time totally to myself. Don't worry, I still miss everyone at home (maybe...). As I always say on fun vacations: You think I'm coming home the end of July, but really I'm gonna to go ahead and move here! :)

Here are the photos for the day. Just sketches with either oil pastels, charcoal, or pen.  The only difference between the last two is that I added pen to the second. This was a decision made after a man came over and asked to see my work and I think was actually disappointed, so I stepped back and tried something rash for me: mixing media. Please, tell me whether you think my decision was a success or not! Feedback is always helpful...


1 comment:

  1. Ahh, this reminds me of my summer spent in France :) soo jealous. I want to go back! Especially to try that vegetarian restaurant you mentioned, lol. Let me know how it is.

    And don't worry about the English-speaking... it's going to happen a lot! It's not usually an insult, everyone just likes practicing their English as much as you like practicing your French.

    Your drawings are pretty neat, too :) I'm glad you're blogging your whole trip... I can live vicariously through you as I suffer through 18th century women writers for the next month. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete