With the bad weather, today was especially slow. For most of the people in the class, the week finally caught up with them. I was the first one up (by about 4 hours) and when I discovered that it was cold, raining, and that very little was open, decided this morning would be a good time to continue reading Pillars of the Earth. For anyone who hasn't read it, it's a novel about the building of a medieval cathedral in England. It's based on a real cathedral, but I don't remember which. Still, I though it was relevant to my studies and figured a little extra excitement about what I'm seeing couldn't hurt.
Tomorrow I'm off to Chartres cathedral all day. We're taking a bus pretty early, so that we'll be there in time to really see it before our tours for the day. I know we are also getting a stained-glass demonstration, which sounds like it will be absolutely amazing! Even the journals for the class, which are assigned everyday on various subjects, are actually interesting to write. I have to keep reminding myself that this is a class, and not just a vacation of a lifetime. It's insane that my university will be giving me credits toward my degree for taking field trips to cathedrals and living in Paris for five weeks!
Well, tomorrow is an early morning, so I'll be getting to bed shortly. Since most people have stopped eating dinner out because it's expensive, we have many more dishes to do this weekend! I think we get new towels and linens tomorrow. Not sure yet what the situation is. It's all very exciting though! Today was the first day we sort of lounged. We had a great time sitting at a cafe for a late lunch today and watching the Italy and New Zealand World Cup game. The excitement from every goal, no matter which team's, is such that even the waiters stop and watch!
Anyways, I'm sure I will have a lot to say about Chartres tomorrow, if I'm not too tired when I get back, so bonsoir for today! I'm glad so many people are enjoying reading about my adventures! It's fun to share them!
6.20.2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I love Chartres!!! Take special note of the blue stained glass...I believe it is unique to Chartres and is impossible to replicate.
ReplyDelete