6.20.2010

Yesterday was a slower day. Looked up trains to Aachen and Rouen, but finding no luck, decided on visiting St. Denis Basilica instead. I took the metro up there (long ride!) and it wasn't as crowded as I had expected for a Saturday. Sat on the steps to the altar and sketched for a bit. Three separate times I was approached by someone who attempted to converse with me and look at what I was drawing. It's really quite embarrassing to have to admit that you're a foreigner who doesn't speak the language. And I got asked directions again on the metro. Twice. Wasn't a good day for interactions...
St. Denis, however was beautiful, with the light shining through the stained glass. There was a concert going on right outside, so I could hear the music too. After the church, I caught a bite to eat in a boulangerie (is that how you spell it?) and ordered some really amazing olive bread! It was rather intimidating ordering though, because it was the middle of the after-work rush hour and I was terrified I would freeze and order the wrong thing and end up getting toast with salmon or something. I did get two extra chocolate croissants, but I think that was just because they were closing soon. I didn't mind. :)
No plans yet for today. Below are the photos for yesterday. I attempted to morph two photos to get the stained glass and church together, but it looked rather quasi, and was too big to upload, so maybe I'll put it up another time. I also let myself do some precision, obsessive sketching, and then once seeing how little I had gotten done, did a much looser sketch of some of the vaulting. Another drawing is from the other day, drawn from memory on the train back from the church, so it's rough. Getting better at loosening up, though. I'll definitely have to keep at that this week! The other photo is really amazing wood work from the choir seats.


No comments:

Post a Comment